Sunday, April 12, 2009

Turtle Down

We have a problem. One turtle is injured! The Beev injured her foot a few weeks back and took some time off from running. So after 2 weeks of rest, she made attempts to run again last week. We ran 2 miles the first day back and 3 miles the 2nd day. Unfortunately, her foot only got worse!! Our boss diagnosed her with some sort of fracture in her foot and told her she would be in a cast for 6-8 weeks. We also both looked it up on the Internet (where everything is true - LOL) and we both came to the same conclusion. Foot fracture, no running for a long time......

Beev is going to a doctor on Tuesday to get the official diagnosis. I hope the Internet and our boss are WRONG, wrong, wrong.....

We're praying that Beev can recover soon and be able to train for and then run the half-marathon. We'll just have to wait and see how serious it is. What I do know, is that this means I'm definitely running our 10K by myself next Saturday. Yikes! Me and my thoughts - alone - for 6.2 miles. It's gonna be a long run.......

I did 5 miles yesterday (by myself) and it was really hard. The internal dialogue was really getting to me that day though. I never knew there's a need for mental toughness in running long distances - it makes sense but I never realized it until I started doing it. I'm not that tough yet. I tend to talk down to myself instead of 'you're doing it, keep it up, you couldn't do this a year ago, etc."

I plan to taper down the runs this week in order to save energy for the run on Saturday (that's what the books say to do). So, only 3 miles Tuesday and 2 miles Wednesday. I'll be doing my regular cardio workouts the other days but no running.

I pray that the internal dialogue will be more positive when I run on Saturday and I'll be able to complete the run without injury and in a reasonable time for me.

Wish me luck!
Perry

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm sooo sorry Beev! Hope there is no fracture. Will be praying for a speedy recovery. Good luck P next Sat....we will be praying for good weather and that you will feel confidence in your ability to finish the race and not "talk yourself down".

Mary-Austin said...

Praying for a good diagnosis and quick healing!! Good luck Perry!!

Anonymous said...

You can do it, P!! I've got confidence in you!
I'm so sorry about Beev - hope the results of the dr. visit were better than y'all expected.
We'll be praying for you on Saturday. mak