Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Best Time!

I know I've made a few posts tonight. Just trying to catch up. For record keeping sake, I wanted to note that this week I've improved on my times.

On Tuesday, I was scheduled to run 3 miles - by myself because Beev hadn't seen the doctor yet. I'm a slow runner. I know this. But, I also know that as I increase my distance, my pace picks up for the shorter runs. (It's funny to think of 3 miles as a short run now. ) So, Tuesday morning I set out on a beautiful day with my ipod ready to run. I was thinking it would be really cool to make the 3 miles in 36 minutes. That would beat my previous times, by far. I ran the first mile in 12 mins - right on track. I finished the 2nd mile in 12:05 (uh-oh gotta make up 5 seconds on the last mile - after I'm tired). I pretty much kept my pace until close to the end (maybe 0.1 mile)and then just ran my little heart out. I looked at my watch and I made it in 35:54!!! That's my best 3 mile time ever.... I know it's slow for real runners, but it was an accomplishment for me!

Today, Beev and I ran 2 miles. Another beautiful day to run. I wanted to break the 24 minute mark, but wasn't sure I could because I tend to slow down a bit when I'm talking and running at the same time. Beev does most of the talking, but I mutter some words here and there. I tried to keep my talking to a minimum so we could make the time. Anyway, we made it in 23:48. So, we beat the 24 min goal. I think we could have done even better had I not been talking at all. But then what fun would that be??? I'm not trying to be Speedy Gonzales out there. But I think if I could average 11-12 min miles for the 13.1 half-marathon that would be really cool. But that means I probably need to get my shorter runs to 10mins or less per mile. Considering where I started, I'm happy with the improvement I've made in my times over the relatively short time I've been running.

10K this Saturday if it doesn't rain!

Perry

3 comments:

Stacey said...

way to go!!! Keep up the good work!

Mary-Austin said...

Congrats and good luck!

Anonymous said...

so glad that all is well with Beev, though it all sounds a bit weird to me. Can't wait to see if you're running this a.m. mom