Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A story I forgot to post....

A few weeks back, we were scheduled to run 6.5 miles on a Saturday. It was not a race or anything. It was just something we worked into our training schedule. First attempt at this distance. Well, this was right when Beev got injured so she obviously couldn't do it with me.

So, I go to the Y here in Boerne to warm-up and then outside to run. It was a beautiful day but I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. So, I decided to just do what I could. I have a route that goes from the Y through the neighborhood and back to the Y. That route is 2.6 miles. Then another route that starts/ends at the Y and goes the another direction that is 1.5 miles.

So, I set out to do the first route 2 times (which = 5.2miles) and then go 1.3 miles of the other route. I run the route for the first time (2.6miles). Feeling ok, but still thought wouldn't be able to do whole thing. Thought just see if you can make that route one more time (for the 5.2 miles). Surprising myself, I did that. Believe me it was hard. I wanted to quit many times, but wanted to be able to tell people I did it. When I got to the 5.2 miles, I thought.... heck I'm almost done....just try to finish it out.

So I start that last 1.3 miles. I get to the place where I turn around to head back (probably about 6 miles - so still had another 0.5 mile). I thought to myself...ok....6 is pretty good, if you stop now, it's ok, but it'd be pretty cool to do 6.5. Right at that moment some lady drove by, rolled down her window, and yelled "You can do it! You're doing a great job!" I smiled and waved. I figure I must have looked like I was about to die (I certainly felt like it) for some complete stranger to take the time to encourage me. Anyway, that little piece of encouragement (perhaps divinely directed??) helped me be able to finish that last 0.5 mile. So, thanks stranger lady in a little white car....you made my day!!!!

So family/friends...think about saving November 15 on your calendar. The turtles may need some encouragement along the half-marathon route.

See ya!
Perry

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Awesome story!!! Will save the date!! We need T-Shirts!!!

Mary-Austin said...

God is so fun sometimes... just at the right times He put people together. YAY!