Friday, February 27, 2009

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot......

It's still February right? Why is it a million degrees outside????

Ok, so I'm rounding but 90s is way too hot for February. Beev and I attempted a 4.5 mile run on Wednesday afternoon. We couldn't do it - rather I couldn't do it. It was soooooo hot. I could only make it 2.25 miles and my heart rate was through the roof. My heart rate didn't even come down much when we stopped running and continued walking. I burned over 1000 calories - which is great for calorie burning but we didn't complete the run.

So, once again Beev and I had to run on our own on Thursday to make up for the run on Wednesday. We were both successful! Actually Beev went 5 miles (show-off!! j/k. I completed the 4.5 miles on a path I mapped out in Boerne near the YMCA. I actually felt pretty good and could have eeked out another 0.5 miles. I'll hit the 5 miles next week! Of course, my guess is we'll try at work on Wednesday morning, but I will probably not be able to do it because of the hills. I don't feel bad about myself because of it. I just need a flatter place to run - with maybe a few slopes but not the hills like at work. It's just the way it is.

We are going to move our long running day to Saturday in a couple of weeks when Beev's schedule allows. Then we'll be able to go to flatter places and be more successful. Until then.....Hopefully this Wednesday will be a cool morning. I have a better chance of being successful if the sun isn't beating down on me. If I still can't do the long distances at the work because of the hills, then I'll just have to do them on my own on a flatter course until Beev can join me. Not quite as fun, but at least I don't have to go through the frustration of failing at the Wednesday run - eventually wears on the confidence of completing the long distances.

On a side note, this week i started wearing my heart rate monitor again. I'm timing our runs, but not looking at the time as we run. I just look at my heart rate. If it's low, then I push it. If it's high, I ease up. It has been interesting to see that the times haven't changed much - which indicates to me I have always been pushing myself to the max effort level.

Also noteworthy for our training log, I started drinking Gatorade after our longer runs. I think it actually helps. I'm a little surprised, but it seems to help me recover a little faster.

5 miles next week! That's really far! Amazing that I actually believe I can do it.

Keep runnin'
Perry

2 comments:

Mary-Austin said...

I think it's amazing too!! you're a real runner!! :-)

Stacey said...

I KNOW you can do it...you will make it!! Hopefully it won't be CRazY HOT again this next week...I'm Soo impressed. You're really doing it!! Yippee!