Howdy everyone!
I know it's been a while since we last posted something here. But the training has continued in spite of our lack of posts here!
We cracked the 5 mile barrier a few weeks ago. We had to move our running location, because we are running longer distances now. Running back and forth this little half-mile stretch at work doesn't work that great for us at 5 miles or over. We do that little 0.5 mile stretch because of all the hills. Anyhoo.......we have run a couple of times at the RIM. We found a 2.1 mile loop that seems to work for us i.e. it's flat!!!! We have gone there early in the morning a couple of times to run before the traffic starts. No one is really there - except some construction folks and this one guy (worker) at Loews came out to cheer for us one of the times we ran by that store. That was nice!!!
So, we hit the 5 mile mark at the Rim run. Both of us felt pretty good that day and thought we could have gone farther, but we're following our training schedule. The next time we ran was actually a work day. Our goal was to run 5.5 miles and then try to hit the 6.0 mark if we felt like we could. SO, we did the 2.1 Rim loop 1 time....then 2 times....then on the third time, we still felt pretty good! Surprising! So, we hit the 5.5 mile mark and decided to make it 6. We hit the 6 mark and decided since it was so late, we should just run to the cars. So, we ran 6.3 miles!!!! We were both very excited. Now we're talking some distance!! Plus, that's longer than the 10K we doing on 4/18, so I feel good about our chances of finishing that race. Also, we're ahead of our distance schedule now. When we increase our distance, we don't worry about how long it takes us. The first time, we're not sure we'll have the energy to finish and it's more important to us to get the distance. After we do it the first time, then we start trying to beat our last time. So, I think we can work on our time for the 10K.
A couple of issues have come up lately. One being the weather.....my, oh my it has been humid. I'm a little concerned for our summer running - humid AND hot. might be a challenge. Issue number 2 (and far more important) is that the Beev has injured her ankle. Beev works out every day - has for a long time. Her ankle started to bother her fairly recently. She'll take a day off to rest, but I think she just can't stand not working out. So, she'll go back too soon and her ankle won't get better and is in fact getting worse!!! A week off from running and aerobics and fast walking and any other impact activity will not hinder her half-marathon training. And if she doesn't allow her ankle to heal, she might not need to train ..... she could wind up too injured for the half anyway.
Rest, Beev, rest!!!! I know it's hard because you are a determined woman of action and want to keep up with the schedule. Plus, you like to work out. I don't get that really. But I know you get that exercise high I hear people talk about. I feel wiped out and need a nap, but not you.... A week off can't hurt your ankle, but if you don't take a week off, you could do more damage and hopefully not permanent damage. Please rest, Beev. I don't think I can do the half without you!
Another post to come from our most recent event!!
Perry
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment