Saturday, February 7, 2009

Stockshow Stampede!


We did it!! Ran the stockshow stampede (4 mile race associated with the SA rodeo) without stopping. We really only set a goal to run without stopping, but in my head I had a time goal too. But with my recent calf problem and Beev's knee problem, we weren't sure what would happen. I was nervous before we started. I wanted to do well. I was concerned about my calf and Beev's knee. I also did NOT want to finish last. I teased Beev before the race that if it came down to the 2 of us at the end, I might have to push her down so I could finish before her. Ha-ha!!!!

The weather was good - cloudy and cool. I had just bought new running sunglasses, but didn't need to wear them. Awwww, next time! Beev had several stories to keep us going! Thanks, Beev! What will I do if I ever have to run a long distance without you? Guess I'll have to run next to some stranger and tell them to tell me their life story.

The first mile was really hard because part of it was up hill which, of course, makes me go even slower. We ran our first mile really slow! I was really discouraged most of the race because of that 1st mile. We never saw a 2 mile or 3 mile marker. So, we didn't know where we were in the race - how much farther? I kinda guessed based on our time, but didn't really know since our first mile was so slow.

A challenge towards the end of the race was running around all the walkers. There was a 1.6 mile walk also going on at the same time. Well, Beev and I approached the finish line at the same time the walkers (who started well after the beginning of our race) were getting there. We had to run around them. I think it actually made us finish a little faster.

As we got closer to the finish, everyone standing on the side watching would yell out, "You're almost there. It's just around the corner!" Well, they lied. Actually I guess they didn't. They did not specify which corner. We kept going and going thinking the finish line was 'right around the corner.' Well, eventually, we found the right corner and we saw the finish line and we really blazed to the finish! We must have punched into our blazing turtle speed after that first slow mile, because we finished only 30 seconds beyond our time goal! We were both pretty happy about that. We both felt great after the race too - no calf or knee problems! AND we did NOT finish last!!!

Really, I was surprised by the energy I had left to finish. I think I need to spread that energy throughout the race and maybe we'll finish faster! But it 's hard when you don't know the course. We might need to conserve energy if there's a hill or something. We're still learning how to best approach a race! We were both happy with our performance in this one! Yeah Turtles!

Here are some pics from the race:
pre-race pic:


Our time chips (put these on your shoes for official race time):
All the fast people line-up in front. No, turtles there....not even blazing ones!

We saw this really tall guy at the race. We wondered how tall he was and how that compared to Beev. So, Beev walked right behind him and I took her picture. She comes up a little higher than his elbow and he's not even standing up straight! This moment was good for a laugh before the race!!
Post-race they had a free breakfast for all the runners on the rodeo fair grounds. Sausage, biscuits and gravy, bananas, and bottled waters. Oh, also beer. That seems to be a standard thing at the end of races. Kinda weird to me after a running (healthy) event and especially at 9am in the morning. But what do I know.
Another great event for the Blazing Turtles! We had fun and accomplished our goal.

-Perry

2 comments:

Mary-Austin said...

YAY for the turtles!! Way to go!!

Stacey said...

Don't know how I missed this post....woo-hoo! congrats!!