From the Fredericksburg 10K on April 25 -
I was at the back of the 10K pack. Very back. Only 2 people behind me and the person in front of me finished about 2 minutes before I ever got there.
Well, at the same time as my 10K there was a 5K, a 1 mile run, and a kid's fun run (ages 3-6 I'm guessing and about 100 yards). All ending at the same finish line. The kid's fun run was the last thing to happen and was scheduled to start after the end of the 10K. Well, they ended up starting the kid's fun run a little early.
So, of course, I'm finishing my 10K and round the corner for the last 100 yards. Well, I had to jump up on the sidewalk because the street was blocked by all the kids who were getting their picture taken before the kid's fun run. So, I jumped back down on the street after going around the kids and I hear the guy on the microphone say...."Ready, set, go...." So, all the kids start running toward the finish line. So, try to picture this...... I'm running and then all of a sudden there are about 30 little kids running with me towards the finish line. All the parents are lined up on either side of the street looking to take the perfect picture of their little one running by and I'm guessing they also get a picture of me! Plus, have you ever watched little kids run? They run with big smiles, full of joy, but they watch mom and dad - not where they are going. So, I had to dodge a few. I was laughing as I crossed the finish line just thinking about what it must look like - one giant and 30 little kids. I was also laughing because as I cross the finish line, I hear the announcer guy say "Here comes a little one now" referring to the little kid behind me - not me, of course.
Makes for a good story......wish I had a pic - but I had just run 6.2 miles and felt like death was imminent.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
LOL... I'm laughing! How funny is the story. Happy you finished!!
hee-hee-hee-hee, wish we had pictures. Glad you finished the 10 K. I hope you are very proud of yourself and I'm very glad death was NOT imminent
Post a Comment